I’ve had several requests for the enchilada casserole recipe I included on this week’s menu. Well, I aim to please! This one is a big hit with my family. My kids aren’t crazy about hot red sauce, so there isn’t any in this recipe. Of course, you can add ingredients to your taste. Enjoy!
Chicken Enchilada Bake
8 flour or whole wheat tortillas
2 Tbs. butter
1/2 C. chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced (I use 2-3 cloves.)
1/2 C. sliced black olives
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies, drained
1/2 C. sour cream (I use a bit more.)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 C. cubed, cooked chicken
1 C. (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese (I really like cheese, so I use 2 C.!)
1/4 C. milk
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a medium saucepan, melt butter; saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in 1/2 of the olives (reserve other 1/2 for topping), green chilies, sour cream, & soup; mix well.
3) Set aside 3/4 C. of the soup mixture. To remaining sauce in pan, stir in chicken and 1/2 C. of cheese.
4) Warm tortillas & fill with chicken mixture; roll up. Place seam side down in a large, ungreased baking dish.
5) In small bowl, combine reserved soup mixture & milk; spoon over tortillas.
6) Bake for 30-35 miniutes or until bubbly.
To serve, sprinkle with remaining cheese and black olives. I also like to add sour cream and salsa on top when I serve mine. I serve with tortilla chips; they’re great to scoop up any leftovers!