Part of my early morning routine involves boiling a cup water in the microwave and making hot tea. Using a teapot would be much more charming, but I’m all for convenience. The little girls’ room is right next to the kitchen, and if they heard a kettle whistling they would be out of their beds waaay to early.
One morning a couple of months ago I plopped my cup of water into the microwave and hit the beverage button. When I heard the “beep”, I opened the microwave door and realized that the water was not hot. I assumed that I had set the timer by mistake, so I once again pushed the appropriate button and waited impatiently for the water to heat. Again, cold water… and a faint burning smell. Yep, my microwave bit the dust. Everything was working except the most important part: the element that actually emits the micro waves!
Did we have money in the budget to replace the microwave? Nope! It wasn’t too hard to live without the microwave since my stove and oven work just fine. I did, however, miss the convenience of being able to reheat food quickly. I won’t tell you how many times I took the wrapper off a bag of microwave popcorn and set the timer on the microwave and then had a DUH! moment and remembered the microwave was out of commission.
Well, the Lord must have had pity on me because He provided money for a new microwave. We were even blessed enough to find just the one I was wanting on sale. Mr. C installed it a few days ago, and we’re thoroughly enjoying radiated food once again. This new little beauty has a lot of features the previous model didn’t have, and I’ve also come to the conclusion that it has way to many buttons on it. I really like the programmable nite-lite and the “mute” mode. Now when I’m boiling my water in the early morning hours, I don’t have to worry about waking up the kids with that dreadful “BEEP, BEEP, BEEEEEP!” Just one problem: if I don’t hear it go off, I completely forget about it.
ETA: Thank you all for your prayers on behalf of the sick little angels. They are all improving. Unfortunately, they shared their sick germs with Mommy and Daddy. 🙁